[racket-dev] package-system update

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Mon Jul 15 22:25:45 EDT 2013

Matthew Flatt wrote at 07/13/2013 02:56 PM:
> Others seem
> overwhelmed by the details, unsure of how it will all work out, and
> disconcerted by conflicting messages from others who seem to
> understand the issues.

BTW, I don't know whether I'm involved in anyone being disconcerted.  If
I am, please let me clarify that I agree that this effort looks like a
win for development of variations on core Racket, and for packaging of
shrinkwrapped apps built with Racket.  (Praise&condolences to those
people doing a lot of non-fun work to achieve those goals.)

In addition to those goals, I also had some research and advocacy goals
that are affected by the package system model.  Now is not the time to
get into that, but perhaps we can discuss at a later date, as the model
evolves in subsequent versions of Racket.

Much secondarily, there are lots of little details, about which
different people will feel differently.  I suspect we'll all quickly get
accustomed to the little details, and if any little detail becomes
ornery for lots of people, it could be refined.

Neil V.

Posted on the dev mailing list.