[racket-dev] package-system update

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 15 11:33:58 EDT 2013

At Sun, 14 Jul 2013 23:58:23 +0200, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:
> I'm worried about something. What will be the policy related to the
> bugfix releases of the packages?. Now, if some part of racket is broken
> on OpenBSD, I temporally patch the port and wait the next release of
> racket. If I decide go with the third option (only maintain the port of
> racket core), racket team will release quick bugfix updates to packages
> without wait to the next release of racket core?.

In principle, you could arrange for a Racket package catalog that is
referenced by your port to mirror the PLT package catalog until you
have to inject a repair. Maintaining a mirror sounds like too much
work, but I wanted to point out that it's possible.

My guess is that PLT will provide a catalog where bugs are fixed in
packages separate from the main-distribution release cycle, and that's
the repository you'd want to reference in your port.

(I'm less clear on whether that's the only catalog that PLT will run,
or whether we'll also want an essentially static, release-specific
catalog.)

Posted on the dev mailing list.