[racket-dev] package-system update

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 14 09:00:14 EDT 2013

> At Sun, 14 Jul 2013 02:54:06 +0200, Juan Francisco Cantero Hurtado wrote:
> > On 07/13/13 20:56, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> > [...]
> > > ** Downloading release installers from PLT
> > >
> > > The "www.racket-lang.org" site's big blue button will provide the same
> > > installers that it does now, at least by default. That is, the content
> > > provided by the installer --- DrRacket, teaching languages, etc. ---
> > > will be pretty much the same as now.
> > >

> > Will be also available a big tarball with the source and all batteries
> > included, like the actual "unix source"?. Will be possible to compile a
> > full distro of racket with the usual "configure && make && make install"?

To clarify (because I now realize this may not have been apparent to
others), you have in mind delivering Racket's main distribution as an
OpenBSD port, right?

At Sun, 14 Jul 2013 06:00:17 -0600, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> This was not been part of the plan. Now that you ask, though, I see how
> it makes sense to package the core source together with package sources
> for a given set of packages --- including the "main-distribution"
> package, for a site that distributes "main-distribution" installers.

Longer term, I think that OS-level packages/ports should probably
reflect a minimal Racket installation, and then further Racket packages
would be installed via the Racket package system.

But I can also see how a "main Racket distribution" package/port that
resides completely within the OS's system could also make sense,
especially in the short term. A core+package source tarball should make
that easier.

Posted on the dev mailing list.