[racket-dev] Tweaked doc pages

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Feb 26 09:53:11 EST 2013

I have finally implemented a script that hacks the on-line doc pages.
Currently, it does the following (and you can see the changes on the
web now):

1. Slap the contents into a the usual template, so the doc pages
   finally look like they belong to the site rather than a cheap copy
   of what you have in your installation.

2. Add a "[PDF]" link in manual toplevel pages (under the version).

3. Remove the redundant "index.html" from URLs.  (In a hacky way.)

It's not pretty, but there's no way that I see to make it less hacky
without some serious revision to the documentation renderer so it can
be parameterized for web presentation -- and that has a bunch of
difficult problems, like the fact that the web-generating code is not
distributed, or the fact that it should apply to older doc pages too.
So I resorted to regexp tweaking.

Things that would be nice to add now are turning the version number
into a combo box to select different versions, and a google-based
search box to get full-text search (which is probably easy using
"in-url:" or the custom search thing that we had in the past, or a
combination).  If anyone is interested, see the script for a
description of how you run it.