[racket-dev] new `history` form (was: Documentation)

From: Matthew Flatt (mflatt at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 24 19:03:46 EST 2013

I've added a `history` form to `racket/manual`. The idea is that we
should use `history` within documentation instead of maintaining
"HISTORY.txt" files.

For example, the source of the documentation for `history` is

 @defform[(history clause ...) ....]{

 Generates a @tech{block} for version-history notes.....

 @history[#:added "1.1"]}

As part of the change, I added a `#:packages` clause to
`define-exporting`, so its documentation ends with

 @history[#:changed "1.1" @elem{Added @racket[#:packages] clause.}]

If `history` acquires a `#:fish` feature in version "1.2", then its
documentation sources would change to end with something like

 @history[#:added "1.1"
          #:changed "1.2" @elem{Added @racket[#:fish] option.}]

The `#:added` and `#:changed` modes are currently the only modes.

I imagine that some "HISTORY.txt" files will stick around, but they
will act more like release notes with big-picture summaries, instead of
attempts at change logs (but I'm not sure). Also, I currently plan only
to document changes this way for changes after the v6.0 distribution
(leaving old notes to "HISTORY.txt").