[racket-dev] net/http-client

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Aug 28 17:30:31 EDT 2013

This looks great!!

A couple suggestions:

1. Support for "Expect: 100-continue" request headers would be
helpful, and I think not too messy to add.

The big use case I'm aware of is Amazon S3. If you make a PUT or POST
request, it might need to redirect you to another URI (outage,
balancing, whatever reason). Expecting and handling 100-continue lets
you avoid transmitting potentially large amount of data that would be
discarded, and you have to send it all over again in the request to
the redirect URI. For (say) a 1 GB upload to S3, this matters.
Although I don't know for sure if other upload-ish web APIs offer
same, I'd guess some do as this is the use case for 100-continue
generally.

How I implemented this in my HTTP package was to have a
`start-request` function that sends the request line and headers,
peeks the response status line, then returns a `boolean?` whether the
PUT/POST/PATCH/whatever data should be transmitted. [1]

I think your `http-conn-send!` could do similar?

2. Support for "Content-Encoding" response headers would also be helpful.

Using the same make-pipe approach as you're doing with chunked
transfer encoding. [2]  Maybe this is mission creep: For HTTP 1.1. you
_must_ support Transfer-Encoding: chunked, whereas Content-Encoding is
just optional. However it's a good option; using compression can
really help out on time as well as bandwidth charges.

IIRC those were the two main things that motivated me to make my HTTP
package at all, to support e.g. my AWS package. If http-client added
them, I might not need my package anymore. (OK, it might take me
awhile to phase it out until I'm ready to de-support older versions of
Racket, but, I and others wouldn't need it for new projects.)

[1]: https://github.com/greghendershott/http/blob/master/http/request.rkt#L142-L189

[2]: By the way, do you want to pass some `limit` optional arg in the
various uses of `make-pipe`? Otherwise IIUC this will suck everything
into RAM, which might not be so great with very large request or
response entities.