[racket-dev] Revising Racket's home page

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Aug 20 02:51:54 EDT 2013

Sam and Asumu, this looks like significant improvement in several ways,
thank you.

Two comments:

* There's a lot of stuff for a home page.  I don't know whether this is
good or bad, but it's noticeable.

* Under "Documentation" heading, the subheadings are confusing, IMHO.  5
of the manuals are for experienced programmers.  The other 1 is for
children, and makes Racket look like an educational toy, especially when
it's listed first.  How about trimming a bunch of stuff from the main
home page, and having 2 big buttons to go to audience-specific home pages:

(1) beginners and small children who want to see the pictures demo
and/or HtDP, and for whom the home page does not need code examples or
links to manuals, and to whom HtDP and RoR should be pushed strongly;
(2) and experienced programmers, who want to see most everything, and to
whom HtDP and RoR should should not be pushed near as much.

The audience-specific home pages can have navigation cues so someone
landing on them can know which audience the page is for and that there
is a page for a different audience, too.

* I don't see "PLaneT" anywhere.  Is PLaneT going to be unpersoned entirely?

Neil V.

Posted on the dev mailing list.