[racket-dev] Updating dependency packages from other sources

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Aug 17 10:54:39 EDT 2013

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 6:16 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> At Fri, 16 Aug 2013 17:22:13 -0400, Asumu Takikawa wrote:
>> > I have in mind that `raco pkg update` would treat as package name as it
>> > does now, instead of like other package sources. That is, it would
>> > update based on how the package was previously installed.
>>
>> Right now updates from the local filesystem (say in --copy mode) aren't
>> tracked. Is the idea to change that so that `raco pkg update foo` will
>> copy a new version of the package from the filesystem?
>
> That hasn't changed. Jay will have to comment on the rationale for not
> updating packages by name from local sources.
>
> My guess is that local sources are not expected to stick around, and
> you don't want something like `raco pkg update --all' getting confused
> when half of a local directory in "/tmp" has been erased.

Yes, exactly. The idea is that if a directory is expected to hang
around then you --link it but if it isn't then you --copy it. I
imagined that local FS would only be used for development or after
some sort of external system (like ftp or scp) copied the thing to
your disk.

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>
http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~jay