[racket-dev] Updating dependency packages from other sources

From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 16 17:22:13 EDT 2013

On 2013-08-16 14:27:41 -0600, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> How about allowing a package source as an argument to `raco pkg update`?
>
> After all, removing an old package implementation and installing a new
> one is already the job of `raco pkg update`, not `raco pkg install`.

I like this idea better than what I suggested earlier.

> I have in mind that `raco pkg update` would treat as package name as it
> does now, instead of like other package sources. That is, it would
> update based on how the package was previously installed.

Right now updates from the local filesystem (say in --copy mode) aren't
tracked. Is the idea to change that so that `raco pkg update foo` will
copy a new version of the package from the filesystem? (assuming it was
installed that way to begin with) Similarly with URL installs, etc. If
so, that sounds great too.

Cheers,
Asumu

Posted on the dev mailing list.