[racket-dev] Packages

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 9 01:31:50 EDT 2013

I probably shouldn't jump into this because I've barely used the new
package system, but here I go...

On 04/08/2013 03:17 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> 50 minutes ago, Jay McCarthy wrote:
>> I don't see how you can start from this place and say, "I am making
>> the elis-awesome-stuff package, so therefore I should *not* create
>> the elis-awesome-stuff directory". It feels contradictory.

Probably because you already have a correct mental model of the package
system. It's not unreasonable for a new user to think, "Hey, this looks
like an easy way to turn my single collection into a package" and get
confused by the extra step and frustrated at having to move files around.

> If I *had* published my awesome stuff as a single big package, then
> you're right: this would be a fine use.  And as I said, this is
> exactly what the "this-and-that" and "mischief" packages do.  But in
> my case -- and I suspect in many other cases -- I don't have an
> overall awesome directory of things to publish: I have a pile of
> things where *some* of them are publishable.  So I'd like to be able
> to publish it quickly with
>
>      raco pkg create ~/my-stuff/elibot
>
> and be done with it.  I'll still maintain a single "my-stuff"
> repository, and I'll still have ~/my-stuff as the only linked (with a
> "--root") collection directory.

I'm gonna jump on the "submit a patch" bandwagon. How hard could it be
to make this work:

      raco pkg create-single ~/my-stuff/elibot

and have "create" and "create-single" documented together so that the
latter is hard to miss?

Neil ⊥

Posted on the dev mailing list.