[racket-dev] ARM support in the JIT

From: Brian Mastenbrook (brian at mastenbrook.net)
Date: Mon Apr 8 17:15:03 EDT 2013

On 04/08/2013 03:58 PM, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> I've pushed changes to the JIT to add an ARM back-end, which is based
> on Paulo César Pereira de Andrade's very nice implementation of GNU
> lightning for ARM.
>
> The generated code uses Thumb and VFP instructions when available, and
> floating-point arithmetic is unboxed as on x86.
>
> Places should work, although they're not currently enabled by default.
> I have not yet added support for futures, and that will probably wait
> until someone has a use for them.

Hello Matthew,

This is very exciting, as my company is currently using Racket on the TI
BeagleBone (ARM Cortex A8 based) for an industrial application, and I'm
looking forward to seeing what the JIT does for us. We don't have a use
for futures though - we currently use threads and places. :-)

On what processors is this expected to work? In particular is the ARMv6
supported (Raspberry Pi)? I have one of those personally for testing.

I noticed that as part of this upgrade COPYING.txt was replaced with the
text of the GPLv3, and references to it replaced with COPYING_LESSER.txt
(which I'm assuming would be the LGPLv3), but I don't see the latter in git.

Brian

--
Brian Mastenbrook
brian at mastenbrook.net