[racket-dev] Optimization Coach suggestion / question

From: Vincent St-Amour (stamourv at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 14 19:50:42 EDT 2012

At Fri, 14 Sep 2012 15:39:22 -0700,
John Clements wrote:
> I used the optimization coach for the first time today. First, a
> suggestion. I wrestled with it for about five minutes before I realized
> that it applied only to programs written in TR.

OC works on programs in any language, but in untyped languages it only
reports inlining information.

> An error message here would be *really* useful; I kept mousing over
> and clicking and unclicking things to get the results of the coach to
> show up.

The issue here is that, if OC doesn't have anything to say, it displays
its control panel, but nothing else. It should really at least show a
message explaining that it has nothing to report. I'm adding this to my
to-do list.

> Second, I'm trying to see what difference inlining makes, using this
> program that basically just fills a vector with a sine wave. Turning
> on the coach for the program below suggests to me that either
> a) no inlining is occurring for the call to "supply" in the body of the loop, or
> b) the coach isn't displaying that information in a way I understand.

On git HEAD, OC reports that `supply' is inlined 4 out of 4 times.

Inlining reporting was broken earlier this week as a result of changes
to the logging system. I pushed a fix on Tuesday.

Vincent

Posted on the dev mailing list.