From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 16 17:42:06 EDT 2012

On 2012-10-16 15:27:46 -0400, mflatt at racket-lang.org wrote:
> 843c722 Matthew Flatt <mflatt at racket-lang.org> 2012-10-16 15:10
> :
> | add an argument to `{chaperone,impersonate}-prompt-tag'
> |
> | The new argument gets to filter results that come from a
> | non-composable continuation that replaces one delimited
> | by a prompt using the chaperoned/impersonated prompt tag.

Thanks. One thing I noticed is that I don't think this is quite enough
to build contracts that provide full protection for `call/cc`. Let me
demonstrate with an example:

;; -----------------------------------------------
;; In this "component", we define a prompt tag
;; and install a prompt. We call `abort-k` which
;; is an unknown function imported from the other
;; component.

#lang racket

(define pt (make-continuation-prompt-tag))

(define (do-test)
  (+ 1
     (call-with-continuation-prompt
      (lambda ()
        (+ 1 (abort-k 1)))
      pt)))

;; We export the prompt tag with a chaperone
;; that checks that the values we get from a
;; `call/cc` are numbers as we expect.
(define ipt
  (chaperone-prompt-tag
   pt
   values values
   (lambda (x)
     (if (number? x) x
         (error "wrong type")))))

;; component boundary -------------

;; In this component, we build an `abort-k`
;; that sends a string to the prompt.
;;
;; Note that it uses the chaperoned prompt tag
(define abort-k
  (call-with-continuation-prompt
   (lambda ()
     (let ([v ; client side uses impersonation
            (call/cc (lambda (k) k) ipt)])
       (if (procedure? v)
           (format "~a" v))))
   ipt))

;; component boundary -------------

;; This raises an exception because the chaperone
;; on the `call/cc` side is not triggered. Only
;; the prompt side will ever trigger.
(do-test)

The summary is that I think we need to do the `call/cc`
redirection on both sides: the prompt *and* the caller of
the aborting continuation.

Cheers,
Asumu

Posted on the dev mailing list.