[racket-dev] Planet 2 Beta Release

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Nov 30 09:00:55 EST 2012

Yesterday, Asumu Takikawa wrote:
> On 2012-11-29 06:52:07 -0700, Matthew Flatt wrote:
> >
> >  raco pkg install fish-tank/
>
> This is nice, I've been confused by the old behavior before.

I don't think that this is a good idea -- since it's a hook onto a
syntax of directory names which conflicts with the common convention
that "dir/" is the same as "dir".  One random example where this can
be a problem is zsh directory completions -- with my setup (and this
is a zsh feature that is used by many people) if I have a "fish-tank"
directory and I type

  rack pkg install fish-<TAB>

I get zsh to complete that and get

  rack pkg install fish-tank/

and if at this point I hit enter, zsh will *remove* that slash and
then run the command:

  rack pkg install fish-tank

A slightly better convention for directory names is ./fish-tank -- but
that convention is useful for cases where a string can be interpreted
as either a local path or something else (like a flag) and I want to
force the path interpretation.  IOW, it fits a mode of work where
there is some dynamic interpretation based on the existence of a
directory or a known package name, with a way to force the former.