[racket-dev] The `var` pattern in `match`

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Nov 29 00:17:39 EST 2012

On 11/28/2012 06:04 PM, David Van Horn wrote:
> On 11/28/12 7:53 PM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
>> Currently, `match` provides a pattern named `var`, which makes `(var
>> id)` equivalent to `id`, but without special cases for things like `_`
>> and `...`.
>>
>> However, this frequently conflicts with structures that people define,
>> and is rarely used other than accidentally.  I'd therefore like to
>> remove it entirely.
>
> + (expt 2 (expt 2 (expt 2 (expt 2 2))))

Since I've never used `var' and it sounds like a great idea to get rid
of it, I'll see David's repeated exponential and raise it by \aleph_0.

Note that downvotes must now at least sum to \aleph_1 to retain the
`var' pattern. One downvote for every real number is sufficient.

Neil ⊥

Posted on the dev mailing list.