[racket-dev] Planet 2 Beta Release

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 12 19:36:41 EST 2012

I expect we can do a better job in planet2 than we are doing in planet1 and
I am in favor of trying to find that balance.

I would be unhappy, however, if we end up with a system where you have to
grovel around in low-level places to get simple uses of uninstalled
packages working. That is, I want to be able to put in a blog post or in a
talk or somewhere a little program that depends on uninstalled libraries
and, if I'm careful about keeping those libraries that the little file
works with, then that file should Just Work for casual users who download
drracket paste it in, and hit Run.

I not mean to imply we do things just the way planet1 does them. Only that
we find a way for things to just work for casual users.

I realize that this is a hard design problem and that's why I think we
should be thinking about it early. Hopefully my underlying desire is not to
contentious!

Robby