[racket-dev] Revision to the Language Dialog

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 5 12:55:36 EST 2012

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> There was a discussion a while back on revising the language dialog
> (I've lost track of the thread since I started hacking on the dialog;
> apologies).

The thread starts here:
http://bugs.racket-lang.org/query/?cmd=view&pr=12642 and continues
here: http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@racket-lang.org/msg05730.html

> I've just pushed something based on that discussion. Please let me
> know what you think.

I like the new dialog a lot.  I think it could be improved with some
of the suggestions made in the thread.  Three I like in particular:

- Make the language for "teaching" and "#lang" more parallel.  This
could help emphasize that the first option is really a language
choice.  So either change "Teaching language" to "Use a teaching
language", or change the first option to "Standard language" (or
"normal" or something else like that).

- Add some example #lang lines under the #lang option.  These could
even be actual choices, which edit the buffer if it's a new one --
`racket`, `racket/base`, `typed/racket`, `slideshow` are good
candidates.

- Allow the presence of a #lang line to override the language dialog,
or at least give an error that's more helpful than currently.

--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the dev mailing list.