[racket-dev] Potential search improvement

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue May 29 08:16:47 EDT 2012

20 minutes ago, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> > That can currently get to ~20k things to sort and adjust for
> > additional entries that get added on each release, planet
> > packages, etc.
>
> Have you measured how long this takes? On my machine, the `sort()`
> method on an array of 25000 strings takes 11ms in Firefox.

I didn't, but my worry is about older machines (and things like IE).
This wouldn't be an issue if I could abort the sort when there's new
user input -- but JS being what it is, once it starts sorting I can't
stop it until it's done, which means that new input characters need to
wait for the sort.

[Another option that would help is if there's a reliable (and
user-invisible) way to find out how fast things run and adjust the
delay before firing a new sort on slower machines.]