[racket-dev] race setup tests gives wrong error message, best way to fix?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri May 11 04:52:49 EDT 2012

Yesterday, John Clements wrote:

> Running
>
> raco setup tests
>
> gives the following error message:
>
> raco setup: given collection path: "tests" is not in canonical form
> (e.g., wrong case on a case-insensitive filesystem)
>
> [...]
>
> … Note that the error message I saw is a fall-through case, when the
> given names don't appear in the hash table.  I'm guessing that
> "tests" is explicitly excluded from this table some where (though it
> doesn't seem to be in this file). [...]

No -- these rules are all in the distribution script.  The problem is
that there's nothing to do in the tests collection because of the
`compile-omit-paths'.  You can see the same happen with:

  raco setup json/tests

So the first thing that needs to be done -- AFAICT -- is to change the
error message.  (I checked that bad case errors are caught earlier, so
I don't think that the message can be relevant.)

But another problem is that if you do something like

  raco setup tests 2htdp

should just warn that there's nothing to do for tests instead of just
fail.