[racket-dev] current-*-port

From: Laurent (laurent.orseau at gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 4 11:03:20 EDT 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Matthias Felleisen <matthias at ccs.neu.edu>wrote:

> On May 4, 2012, at 10:34 AM, Laurent wrote:
>
> > As sad as I am to say this, "arr[x] = 3" is read quicker by the eye than
> "(vector-set! my-integer-array the-current-iterator the-number-three)"
>
> I started saying this in 1988, when I requested from a Scheme implementor
> that arrays should be treated as (finite) functions:
>
>  (arr x) ~ (vector-ref arr x)

I would very much like that (for all kinds of containers, and this would
even help programs be container-independent). What was the reason for not
including this in Racket?

> > An interesting idea would be to count the number of times each
> identifier is used in the sources, and see how many characters would be
> saved by using different conventions.
>
> That sounds like a fantastic exercise for someone who is truly skilled at
> scripting the shell with all kinds of find/wc/add knowledge.
>
> Go for it.

I would certainly if I had time right now... (though using `read' and a
hash might be easier). That will need to wait if no one else feels like
doing it.

Laurent