[racket-dev] possible 5.2.900.1 bug involving rest argument

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sat Jul 28 20:25:36 EDT 2012

6 hours ago, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
> Looks like a minor compiler/optimizer bug in Friday's 5.2.900.1
> pre-release.
>
> I haven't yet found a simpler test case, but you can reproduce by
> installing a particular PLaneT package as shown below.
>
> The line 1275 it's complaining about is the following, which starts
> a procedure definition that is later applied at toplevel in the same
> module:
>
> (define (charterm-make-keydec keydec-id . keysets)
>
> The demo program for this PLaneT package seems to run correctly despite
> these install/compile-time error messages.

I tried to track this, and I don't think that it's a compiler bug...
It looks like it's a failure at the stage of compiling the docs which
would explain why the code runs fine.

The problem looks like something in syntax/parse -- either there or it
doesn't do enough checking of its input.  A small example that shows
it:

  #lang racket/base
  (require syntax/parse)
  (syntax-parse #'(X Y . Z) [(NAME:id ARGn ...) 1] [else 1])

which produces the following error:

  andmap: contract violation
    expected: list?
    given: '(#<syntax:/tmp/zzz:5:19 Y> . #<syntax:/tmp/zzz:5:23 Z>)
    argument position: 2nd
    other arguments...:
     #<procedure:void>
    context...:
     /home/scheme/html/release/racket/collects/syntax/parse/private/residual.rkt:206:0: predicate-ellipsis-parser
     /tmp/zzz: [running body]

and the trace that points at synax/parse/private/residual.rkt was
there when I tried your original line, so I think that it's the right
error.

(I'll let Ryan take it from here, I just did a semi-blind tracking...)