[racket-dev] [racket-bug] all/12861: promise/c does not maintain equality

From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 11 12:25:10 EDT 2012

(sending this e-mail to dev since it's not directly related to
 promise/c)

On 2012-07-10 22:13:58 -0500, Robby Findler wrote:
> Note that this means the guard on there is now going to be gone (as it
> is meaningless since impersonators can arbitrarily change it).

This is something that has confused me about impersonators on struct
type property accessors. It seems like there is a use case for having an
impersonatable property that still has a guard.

For example, suppose the property and its accessor are defined and
retained local to some module (for example, to store a generic method
access table). This means that nobody outside of the module can
impersonate the property through the accessor.

Assuming your module itself upholds whatever invariants you expect of
the property guard, it's not going to be arbitrarily violated. For
example, with generics it might be desirable to have optional
polymorphic contracts applied to methods in the method table.

Since polymorphic contracts are impersonator contracts, the proxy on the
method table property itself must be an impersonator. However, this
impersonation doesn't violate the invariants of the method table
property guard, which just ensures that the user provided valid methods
for the method table.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious though?

Cheers,
Asumu

Posted on the dev mailing list.