[racket-dev] Deprecating collects

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Jul 10 18:44:28 EDT 2012

Robby Findler wrote at 07/10/2012 05:20 PM:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 2:39 PM, Matthew Flatt<mflatt at cs.utah.edu>  wrote:
>
>>> - mzlib [...]
>>> - mzscheme [...]
>>>
>> I don't think these should be removed or deprecated, ever. I have lots
>> of code that still refers to them --- I doubt that I'm alone --- and I
>> think we should be able to support them.
>>
> I agree that these should never be removed. I would not mind if they
> were marked in some way as "these are here for legacy reasons. New
> code should use XYZ" with specific pointers and helpful advice.

I'm still using some "mzlib" in *new* code.  Specifically, "getpid",
"this-expression-source-directory", "gethostname", and perhaps one or
two other things.  I could find other ways to do those things if I had
to, but those definitions pop up when I search, and there's no glaring
warning not to use them.

Neil V.

Posted on the dev mailing list.