[racket-dev] OS X 10.8 includes new restrictions on running apps

From: Brian Mastenbrook (brian at mastenbrook.net)
Date: Wed Feb 22 18:42:55 EST 2012

On 02/22/2012 04:25 PM, Norman Gray wrote:
> All very entertaining, but it doesn't actually answer your question.  I'm afraid I can find neither chapter and verse, nor exegesis, which makes it clear what the default will be.

Rich Mogull from TidBITS has written an article about Gatekeeper. He's a
smart and well-informed guy, so I'd expect his explanation to be accurate.

"In the middle setting, you can also install applications from
identified developers. This code isn’t reviewed or sandboxed, but it is
code-signed to eliminate the possibility of tampering after the fact.
Since Apple Developer IDs tie back to a registered member of the Apple
Developer Program, there is also some attribution if a malicious
application is issued, and, once it has been discovered, Apple can
immediately blacklist that digital certificate to protect the rest of
the user population."
Brian Mastenbrook
brian at mastenbrook.net

Posted on the dev mailing list.