[racket-dev] collections with no one responsible

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 17 17:38:55 EST 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 7:43 AM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>>> - eopl
>>>  Various people have changed this collection in the past few years
>>> (robby, eli, mflatt).  Who should I assign bugs to?
>>
>> If no one is maintaining this code, would it be better for EOPL to
>> distribute a PLT file?
>
> I don't think so, no. If the choices are between kicking it out and
> putting me on, put me on. I don't really know where that code came
> from, tho, and I didn't write it.

This doesn't really solve the question I started with, which is what
should I tell people who report bugs.

As I see it, there are basically 3 options:

1. Someone who's already maintaining other things starts genuinely
maintaining the eopl collection.  That sounds pretty unlikely to me,
and I don't think that's what you're volunteering for.

2. We keep it where it is, and don't maintain the code other than
fixing life-threating bugs.  This is basically the status quo, and I
think it means people who report other, non-life-threatening bugs
should be informed that we're not maintaining the code, and thus their
bug isn't going to get fixed.

3. We take eopl out of the tree, and it's distributed/maintained by
Dan and Mitch (or by someone else).

Choice 2 is reasonable, but we should be clear about it.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the dev mailing list.