[racket-dev] Google Summer of Code

From: David Van Horn (dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 15 08:33:35 EST 2012

On 2/15/12 8:27 AM, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2012, at 10:26 PM, Asumu Takikawa wrote:
>
>> On 2012-02-14 09:58:12 -0800, John Clements wrote:
>>> I sent an e-mail to Asumu about a week ago that sneakily tried to get him to take responsibility, and it sounds like he might be on it. If not, I'll take the lead. Asumu?
>>
>> I'm still up for it. The application process starts on the 27th but we
>> should do some preparation for it.
>>
>> First of all though, are people interested in this? If we're accepted,
>> any students we get are paired up with mentors, so we'll need some
>> people to volunteer for that. Probably not too many though.
>
> Call for names on dev and user.

I'm happy to volunteer.

>> The mentor's responsibility is to get their student up to speed with the
>> codebase/language&  community, check up on progress (once or more a
>> week), and formally evaluate the student.
>>
>> Other things we'd need:
>>   * an ideas list (the github page should do, with some modifications)
>>   * organization admin (I could do this, or anyone else more
>>     appropriate) and backup admin.
>>   * people willing to review student applications
>

> Call for ideas. Set up public code review system as for Chrome.

I'd like to have Android programs that speak the 2htdp/universe protocol
and support World-style programming.  I have a quick mock-up of both; I
can play simple games where one player is running a BSL client on a
laptop and the other player is running a Java client on their phone.  I
can make this more concrete if you'd.  Google has supported me in the
past by supplying phones.  This seems like a good fit.

David

Posted on the dev mailing list.