[racket-dev] new logo

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Feb 14 16:15:28 EST 2012

Neil Toronto wrote at 02/14/2012 03:37 PM:
> Here's the deal, though. This one, even just the "lambda r." in a
> circle, is pushing complexity. We've been approaching logo design too
> much like language design, trying to cram as much semantic content as
> possible into a small space or into the fewest shapes. A logo exists
> primarily to make a good impression on outsiders. Filling it with too
> much meaning works actively against this.

Good point.

This full banner would be good printed as a big stripe across light gray
T-shirts and hoodies (like university-branded merchandise using
unofficial visuals), but is pretty busy as the canonical logo.  It's not
a bad allusion to Racket's quality of "we've crammed a lot of clever
stuff into this thing, and you'll need to spend a lot of time going
through all of it."

The "lambda r. in a circle" part alone is not bad.  I wonder how well it
could work with more of a nod to the long-time red and blue of the PLT
logos.

And I still like the only-slightly-odd-looking "parenthesis added to
current logo, to make an R" idea.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/