[racket-dev] very unhelpful beginner language error message, possible fix proposed

From: David Van Horn (dvanhorn at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 13 19:44:37 EST 2012

On 2/13/12 7:32 PM, Stephen Bloch wrote:
> In ISL, there's an additional case: a local variable might or might not be bound to a function.  That's a little more hassle to check, but it should be doable at compile-time.  Again, if the first element of a cond-clause is an identifier bound to a function, trigger our clever error message at compile-time.

Once you go to ISL you cannot tell whether a name refers to a function
or a non-function without running code.

ISL is higher-order; it just doesn't have lambda or the ability to
compute functions in operator position.  Even that's a lie if you're
willing to squint a little.

David

Posted on the dev mailing list.