[racket-dev] new logo

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sun Feb 12 15:04:51 EST 2012

20 minutes ago, Vincent St-Amour wrote:
> At Sun, 12 Feb 2012 11:01:44 -0800,
> John Clements wrote:
> > I like this general idea. It seems to me that we're headed toward
> > some kind of translucent ball with bands around it.  If the
> > sideways band is more visible through the ball, you get the "R"
> > effect that people are seeing.
>
> This loses the parentheses, and doesn't really look like an "R"
> anymore. The "band" effect on my sketch was an accident, I was going
> for parentheses.

+1, at least in that sketch.  (The translucency seems like it would
get in the way of making it back into an "R".)  I had tried the plain
parens first (just mirrored and flipped the one on the RHS), and got
pretty much the same thing you posted.  But the "lambda with arms"
result wasn't looking well, and it certainly lost the "R"-ness of the
one-paren version, hence the attempt at fading it.  I also agree that
that doesn't look good, I was hoping that someone would have an idea
on how to make it work.

Overall, I think that the single-paren version really works well,
especially in terms of the simplicity feature (which can work in less
capable mediums).  Neil(T): Is there an easy way to dip it in plastic?
(I want to play with it more and see how it would look in a less
sketchy way.)