[racket-dev] Abstract classes

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 7 13:17:18 EST 2012

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Asumu Takikawa <asumu at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>> One other abstract classe in the framework come to mind: the
>> frame:editor-mixin produces abstract classes.
>
> Creating abstract classes at runtime is a neat use-case.
>
>> What would you do with this information if you had it?
>
> We could either just let it be a hint for the programmer or actually
> check that concrete implementations match the signature. I think
> Matthias had the former in mind, but either way is an option if we had
> this.

Probably you wouldn't just do this for abstract methods, you'd want to
change how define/public and define/override interact too.

That seems like an interesting thing to explore, but it is in a
subtyping, not subclassing direction and probably is violated
somewhere in our codebase. Overall, it seems to point to a larger
redesign of the class system.

Also, I don't see too much value in the former if it is just a hint.
Seems useful to have that information in the documentation, tho.

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.