[racket-dev] URL escaping: question for web experts

From: Ray Racine (ray.racine at gmail.com)
Date: Mon Dec 17 20:35:02 EST 2012

Not an expert, don't even do much in this area much these days.
 Historically, I have seen a number of REST URL API patterns, more often
then not (when these things were less tepid than they are now) in the
Semantic Web area (e.g. MS OData) where parens, which as I recall is
allowed by the RFC, are lifted to distinguished delimiters in the URI
template.   But REST, HTTP APIs. et al have seen their heyday and shall
remain Web-centric remnants.  5 years from now I doubt any newly minted
mobile device centric TCP/IP Internet APIs will be based on REST, HTTP and
URIs.  But my crystal ball tends to be foggier than even most.

Frankly I doubt you would break anything in the Racket ecosystem if you did
it.  Personally, I'd not do it solely on the merit of copy/paste easing.  I
have felt the pain in the opposite direction where a browser or tool has
somewhat arbitrarily gone out of the way to escape parens when I'm trying
to cut/paste and I've had to restore them.   So FWIW, -1.