[racket-dev] bit-vectors and serialization

From: Ryan Culpepper (ryan at cs.utah.edu)
Date: Sun Dec 16 19:18:06 EST 2012

I'd like to make bit-vectors serializable so I can replace sql-bits with
them. I'll deprecate the current sql-bits names but keep them around for
a while.

The issue is that bit-vectors are implemented using fxvectors, which are
serializable, but simply serializing them will presumably cause errors
if a bit-vector is serialized on a 64-bit machine and deserialized on a
32-bit machine or vice versa.

One solution would be to use bytes instead of fxvectors. The performance
is about the same as far as I could tell using the sieve benchmark.

Another option is to declare that serialization across word sizes
doesn't work for bit vectors.

Any opinions?

Ryan

Posted on the dev mailing list.