[racket-dev] How to avoid to modify .gitignore when pull request

From: Greg Hendershott (greghendershott at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Dec 13 15:34:04 EST 2012

>> I suggest building in a build/ directory as described in src/README. There's already a .gitignore directive to ignore that directory.

I had a similar confusion a week ago, building Racket for the first
time ever, and got an answer on #racket.

I was following Joe Gibbs Politz's recent Racket blog post
(http://blog.racket-lang.org/2012/11/tutorial-contributing-to-racket.html),
which doesn't suggest this. The blog post is otherwise awesome. So
awesome that it lulled me into not checking src/README.

So I wanted to thank Joe for writing this (seriously it was amazingly
helpful), and also suggest he update with this suggestion?  Ex:

$ cd plt/src
$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ ../configure
$ make

Unfortunately I don't have his email, so I hope he'll read this or
perhaps someone here can forward this to him.

p.s. I also discovered that if you have PLTCOLLECTS set (for example
to a release build of Racket), the build's "copying collections" step
copies from  _there_. It turns out I didn't need PLTCOLLECTS at all,
so I simply deleted that env var. But it was weird.

Posted on the dev mailing list.