[racket-dev] planet2 and versions

From: Asumu Takikawa (asumu at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Dec 13 12:06:38 EST 2012

On 2012-12-13 08:17:32 -0700, Jay McCarthy wrote:
> Why aren't you just only using the development version?

This mainly comes up if I want to test the uploaded version to make sure
it works. I can probably figure out a better workflow though (such as
keeping around a release version of Racket to test released packages).

> As an aside in response to this whole thread, this is unbelievably
> frustrating because both of my first two proposals w.r.t Planet 2
> dealt with multiple versions, real dependency on the core (which P1
> didn't have), actual enforcement of public/private modules (something
> discussed on IRC yesterday), etc, and everyone hated that and said
> they wanted something simpler like what OSes give. Now we have that
> and people hate it. Argh.

FWIW, I don't hate Planet 2 and I appreciate the design and
implementation work you've done. I'll take Matthew's advice and submit
subsequent feedback as patches.

Cheers,
Asumu

Posted on the dev mailing list.