[racket-dev] planet2 and versions

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Dec 12 17:21:03 EST 2012

On Dec 12, 2012 3:14 PM, "Carl Eastlund" <cce at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:

> I will propose one possible solution for your "webapis" example.
Distribute a primary wrapper package called "webapis" and separate specific
versions such as "webapis1", "webapis2", and so forth.  Have the code in
"webapis" determine at compile-time which specific version of webapis is
appropriate for the current Racket version and install that package.  The
specific packages would contain the actual code a client would import.
That way, installing the "webapis" package on any Racket version would
install only the version of the implementation that works.

IMO, the fact that such workarounds are already suggested at this early
stage is what makes this a bad idea.  AFAICT, the only positive point is to
experiment with things to come up with something that works, but why is
that needed?  I still believe that the main principle should be to make it
as boring and as conventional as possible, and pretty much all package
systems have the ability to specify required versions, no need for the
multiple version fanciness.