[racket-dev] [DrDr] R25887 (timeout 1) (unclean 1) (stderr 1) (changes 64)

From: Jay McCarthy (jay at cs.byu.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 12 13:44:59 EST 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt <samth at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> The Typed Racket optimizer tests continue to fail on an intermittent
> basis in DrDr, as shown below.  I'd really like to fix this,
> especially since we're doing very well for zero failures on DrDr, but
> I don't know what's going wrong.
>
> The error is:
>
> force: promise's thread terminated without result or exception
>   promise: #<promise:!running!...et/optimizer/run.rkt:47:28>
>   context...:
>    /opt/plt/builds/<current-rev>/trunk/collects/racket/promise.rkt:98:2
>    /opt/plt/builds/<current-rev>/trunk/collects/tests/typed-racket/optimizer/run.rkt:50:3:
> for-loop
>    /opt/plt/builds/<current-rev>/trunk/collects/tests/typed-racket/optimizer/run.rkt:44:0:
> mk-suite
>
> which I think indicates that a thread is being killed somewhere, but I
> don't know why that would be happening, and I haven't seen this
> happening on other machines.
>
> Are there any techniques recommending for finding what's killing this
> thread?  Does DrDr do anything special that would affect this?  The
> relevant code is here:
> https://github.com/plt/racket/blob/master/collects/tests/typed-racket/optimizer/run.rkt#L44-53

There are two cases were DrDr kills stuff. Case 1 is when there's a
timeout, but you aren't close to that. Case 2 is when DrDr itself
crashes and needs to get a clean slate of system resources. I think
this is unlikely to be the problem, because the DrDr instance that
crashed would be the one listening to the test's output not the one
that did the killing. But I can look into it.

Jay

--
Jay McCarthy <jay at cs.byu.edu>
http://faculty.cs.byu.edu/~jay