[racket-dev] Planet 2 Beta Release

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Sat Dec 8 22:13:59 EST 2012

On Wednesday, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:

> Given that context, maybe the right thing here is (a) installation-
> specific packages by default and (b) a way to *upgrade* an existing
> installation when installing.  That might be as simple as
> automatically running 'raco pkg migrate', but I think making it part
> of the installation step would make life easier for people, and
> perhaps an upgrade could avoid duplicating files.

I think that this is exactly what Matthew was talking about.  One
tricky bit here is to know which packages were installed for which
level.  If *you* installed some packages, then the next time you *run*
(not install) an updated racket version you'd be asked if you want to
do the migration.  But if some package was installed as part of the
racket tree (not user specific) then the same question would apply
when a new version gets installed.