[racket-dev] Identifier macros

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 4 17:16:17 EST 2012

I'm confused about so-called "identifier macros".  I had thought that
ordinary transformers bound to functions could only transform
application-position references to themselves, and that a "set!
transformer" was required to transform bare references and set!
references.  Turns out I was wrong, set! transformers are in fact only
required to transform set! references.  So why are they listed under the
documentation for "identifier macros" and why does that documentation imply
that normal transformers can't handle bare references?

Carl Eastlund