[racket-dev] Testing whether a procedure gets collected

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 3 08:04:15 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:

> I agree that when something is collected is a pretty intentional
> property but I think it is possible to say a little bit more since
> there is a pretty stable core idea there (namely that if something
> isn't reachable and you call collect-garbage you can be pretty sure
> it'll be gone -- this was not the case back in the boehm gc days).

Do we really want to commit to this?  I agree that it's true for a
simple 2-generation GC, but something more complex like the Sun
garbage-first collector or Felix Klock's regional collector wouldn't
have this property, let alone something more complex like stack
allocation for non-escaping data.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu