[racket-dev] Is it possible to write `flatten' in TR?

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Aug 7 14:51:22 EDT 2012

That's currently what I'm doing. The `list->array' function receives a
predicate that identifies the elements' type.

There are cases where no predicate exists, though (functions, most
obviously), so I needed another solution. Special array-constructing
syntax is turning out to be a nice one. I'm working on it now.

Interestingly, I still need to distinguish between (syntax) lists that
are meant to be rows and (syntax) lists that are meant to be elements.
I'm detecting bracket shape for that. So this is an array of vectors:

 > (array [(vector 1 2) (vector 3 4)])
- : (View-Array (Vector Integer Integer))
(view-array ['#(1 2) '#(1 2)])

This is an array of something else:

 > (array [vector 1 2])
- : (View-Array (U Positive-Byte (All (a) (a * -> (Vectorof a)))))
(view-array [#<procedure:vector> 1 2])

And this is an error:

 > (array (1 2))
Type Checker: Cannot apply expression of type One, since it is not a
function type in: (1 2)

As a bonus, I'll finally be able to make printed arrays read as
equivalent arrays, if their elements are readable.

Neil ⊥