[racket-dev] pr 12683 and using something like text:nbsp->space?

From: Danny Yoo (dyoo at cs.wpi.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 12 14:43:55 EDT 2012

> Just to note: I did the following git command to trace it:
>
>     $ git log -S'nbsp->space' --all

Ah ha!  Here's the thread on plt-internal which motivated the change:

    http://lists.racket-lang.org/plt-internal/private/2007-March/011601.html

As I understand it, the reason for removal was because
char-whitespace? was being extended to encompass Unicode's
definitions, and the non-breaking whitespace character would be
considered as a whitespace character under Unicode rules.

    > (char-whitespace? (integer->char 160))
    #t

and so would be automatically fine for Racket/DrRacket from that point forward.

However, from earlier on the thread, it's clear that zero-width space
doesn't play by the same rules, so re-instituting the solution from
nbsp->space for DrRacket might be the right thing to do.

Posted on the dev mailing list.