[racket-dev] ACM publishing and ArXiv

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 30 16:51:31 EDT 2011

1. We don't have such an organization.  Several companies are trying
to become this.

2. As I pointed out, ACM's classification has little to do with modern
CS.  I struggle to find useful classifiers for many of my papers.  So
it's largely useless for many things I do.  If it's value-add was
classification, the least it could do is keep that current!

If we really relied on the ACM's classifiers, we'd (as a community)
probably have done something about how outdated it is.  The fact that
we just ignore it shows how little anyone uses it.

I take considerable pride in the quality of related-work sections in
my papers.  In the process I search extensively, high and low.  I have
not found the ACM useful in that process, and it's not for lack of
trying, since anything that could make my life easier I would welcome.

So, your arguments are fine in the abstract, but I don't think they
reflect reality.

Shriram

Posted on the dev mailing list.