[racket-dev] Adding the new plot library [was: Re: Plot?]

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 29 14:23:53 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> Just now, Robby Findler wrote:
>> I don't think that what I said implies this. A compatibility layer
>> using Neil's new library is what was offered (or so I thought). I
>> think we just want something that has the same Racket-level UI and
>> something reasonably close in the pictures you get out, as discussed
>> earlier.
>
> If it's just that layer (rather than keeping the C code in), then it's
> not completely compatible anyway.  (And I don't see a point in keeping
> a "strict" backward compatibility if it's not strict anyway.)

We seem to be miscommunicating. I'm saying that it seems likely that
people have scripts and things that use the API of the plot library to
build graphs and things in various places. I'm saying that it seems
unlikely that people have programs that depend on a pixel-perfect
rendering. I'm saying that, imo, the best thing we can do for our
users here is provide a compatibility layer for the old plot in the
same place as the old plot currently is that calls into the new plot
and uses it to draw the actual pictures.

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.