[racket-dev] Help Desk nomenclature

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Sep 27 03:00:26 EDT 2011

Ryan Culpepper wrote at 09/27/2011 02:45 AM:
> On 09/27/2011 12:33 AM, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
>> Did someone decide whether to rename "Help Desk" to "Racket
>> Documentation", such as on the DrRacket "Help" menu and the "About"
>> dialog?
>>
>> I still see "Help Desk" in version 5.1.3.10--2011-09-24.
>
> IIRC, multiple textbooks refer to the "Help Desk" menu item, so that
> probably won't change.

For the possible benefit of everyone who is *not* using those textbooks,
perhaps there could be a "Racket Documentation" item to the "Help" menu,
which did the exact same thing as the "Help Desk" item on the same
menu.  Maybe as the first item, or right above the separator line.

That would also provide a migration path for eventually dropping "Help
Desk" from DrRacket, if it is dropped from subsequent editions of all
the textbooks.

I'm not certain this is a good idea, but I don't think I'm entirely
smoking crack either.

I get the impression that there's an ongoing problem of many people not
knowing that a shelf of useful documentation is right at hand, and this
is one way to nudge them toward it.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/