[racket-dev] New runtime charting for DrDr

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 6 18:24:01 EDT 2011

DrDr now has colorful, up-to-date, interactive charts for runtime on
every file.  For example, check out:
http://drdr.racket-lang.org/23468/collects/tests/racket/benchmarks/common/ray.rkt

The quick explanation:  the solid yellow line shows the overall
runtime of the file.  The circles show the timing of uses of `time'
inside the file.

You can select any region of the chart to zoom into it.  The "reset"
button goes back to the initial state.  You can turn the legend on and
off with the "show/hide legend" button.  Mousing over an individual
point will tell you the exact timing at a particular push #.  If the
internal timing is much much shorter-duration than the overall
runtime, it's shown on a different scale on the right y-axis.  This is
all built on the Flot [1] JavaScript charting library.

Using this, it's possible to see trends in performance.  For example,

I want your feedback about this.  Is it readable?  Should I add the
gc/system time for uses of `time'? Should I switch from points to
lines?  Is there anything else you'd like?

[1] http://code.google.com/p/flot/
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu