[racket-dev] Thread exit status

From: Tony Garnock-Jones (tonyg at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 23 10:13:43 EDT 2011

On 2011-10-22 9:53 PM, Eli Barzilay wrote:
> I'm not following "may not have been started via `delay/thread'" -- in
> your example you also need to define a new `standard-thread' to start
> them, so you need something other than `thread' anyway.

You're right. Using standard-thread would let me simplify my
event-handling code, since standard-threads are threads, whereas
delay/threads are promises, but it doesn't make much difference.

I think my request for threads to remember what killed them may have
been premature. I hadn't considered the security aspects of the
situation: it might be a dangerous leak to have exception information
available to all comers upon mere presentation of a thread handle.

There might be a revised design that separates the kill/resume/etc
capabilities already built-in to thread handles from the reflection
capability that'd be needed to get information on what killed a thread,
but absent that, and for now, standard-thread will do fine.

Regards,
  Tony

Posted on the dev mailing list.