[racket-dev] Access key for search box in Help Desk

From: Rodolfo Carvalho (rhcarvalho at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 12 22:14:09 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 22:40, Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:

> An access key wouldn't hurt, though I don't recall ever hearing of someone
> using them in practice.  Just be careful of your hands if you're pressing
> three-simultaneous-key combinations a lot

With Chrome it would be "alt+q" for example (if <input accesskey="q" ...>)

> BTW, I blogged an alternative a couple years ago, pasted below.  Instead of
> "plt", now, I use "r" for Racket documentation.  Usually I do Ctrl-T to get
> a new tab, so I don't have to make a decision on whether to replace the
> contents of the current tab, and which also leaves the text cursor in the
> AwesomeBar, ready to type my "r" search.

I like this alternative. But for me it would work better to use it against
docs.racket-lang.org, so that synchronizing bookmarks across the systems
that I use would work. Still, whenever I use a browser without my bookmark
it will fail.

So, across machines, accesskey would be always there, the only requirement
being figuring out how to access the field -- alt, ctrl, ctrl+alt...

For people unaware of the accesskey, nothing would change. They can still
click on the search box, tab/shift+tab until it is focused, or use Neil's
alternative.