[racket-dev] PLaneT and proxies

From: Norman Gray (norman at astro.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Sat Oct 8 09:27:47 EDT 2011

Greetings.

A while ago, there was a discussion on users, which moved to dev, about PLaneT's support for HTTP proxies.

http://lists.racket-lang.org/users/archive/2010-June/039949.html
http://lists.racket-lang.org/dev/archive/2010-June/003496.html

Reading through that thread now, I see that it included some code, some pointers to 'specs', lamentations on the general awfulness of proxies, and ended with the (good) suggestion that the problem could often be avoided by using DrRacket to install PLaneT packages.  That last suggestion may have taken the wind out of anyone's enthusiasm to add support for proxy configuaration.

One can of course install PLaneT packages using raco, but that rapidly becomes quite fiddly when a package has a network of dependencies.

This problem has cropped up again for me, and in a context (ssh-only access to a machine) where I can't use DrRacket to avoid the problem.

Can I therefore take this opportunity to raise this as a possible project for anyone with some Copious Free Time needing used?  There were a few plausible fragments of code in the above threads, which might make this quite a small project.

Best wishes,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk