[racket-dev] Release branch timing (was: plea ...)

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Fri Oct 7 21:21:57 EDT 2011

Two hours ago, Robby Findler wrote:
> On Friday, October 7, 2011, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> > The whole point of starting the branch early is that it should *not*
> > be a factor in the decision whether something gets in or not.
>
> Are you saying this should not go in?

Not at all.  I'm only saying that the actual time that the branch is
created should not be a factor in deciding whether something goes in
or not.  There should be some caution because the release is close, so
the existence of the release branch and the explicit requests to merge
things in should serve as a general reminder, making people focus more
on getting things stable, but it's not more than that.  Specifically,
my intention was not to change what goes into the release, and even if
we switched to create the release branch for 5.2 to be two days
earlier or two days later, I would expect roughly the same contents to
go into the release.

(And this is in contrast to the previous last-minute-branch-creation,
where such changes *would* usually lead to different contents -- so a
good way to summarize the intention in the longer release-branch
lifetime is to avoid just such changes.)

In any case, I get the feeling that this is not very clear from the
revised release procedure page -- maybe I should try to make a post
that clarifies things again?

(If anyone gets to this point, and things are still unclear, then
please ping me and I'll do a new post.)