[racket-dev] Subnormal numbers?

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 29 14:39:13 EST 2011

I can't answer the question about underflow. But if you don't mind
installing a nightly build of Racket, you get the (currently
undocumented) module `unstable/flonum', which exports these:

     flonum->bit-field
     bit-field->flonum
     flonum->ordinal    ; number of flonums away from 0 (+ or -)
     ordinal->flonum
     flstep        ; the flonum n steps away (by ordering fl<)
     flnext        ; next largest flonum (by ordering fl<)
     flprev        ; next smallest flonum (by ordering fl<)
     -max.0        ; negative flonum with greatest non-infinite magnitude
     -min.0        ; negative flonum with smallest nonzero magnitude
     +min.0        ; positive flonum with smallest nonzero magnitude
     +max.0        ; positive flonum with greatest non-infinite magnitude

Also, the `plot' module in the nightly build deals just fine with
intervals that are too small to represent using flonums. For example, to
illustrate floating-point discretization and the density of flonums at
different ranges:

#lang racket

(require plot unstable/flonum)

(plot (function (λ (x) (inexact->exact (sin x)))
                 (flstep 0.0 -10) (flstep 0.0 10)))

(- (flonum->ordinal 1.0) (flonum->ordinal 0.0))
(- (flonum->ordinal 2.0) (flonum->ordinal 1.0))
(- (flonum->ordinal 3.0) (flonum->ordinal 2.0))
(- (flonum->ordinal +max.0) (flonum->ordinal 1.0))

(parameterize ([plot-x-ticks  (log-ticks #:base 2)])
   (plot (function (compose flonum->ordinal exact->inexact) 1.0 8.0)))

Neil T